Why learn German?
- German is the most widely spoken native language in Europe and is the second most-spoken language on the continent of Europe.
- Germany is a major economic and political power in Europe and contributes more than any other country to the EU budget.
- If German is that difficult why is it that any English-speaker, regardless of whether s/he has ever studied German, will probably understand every word in the following list? Haus, Garten, Butter, Jacke, Nase, Adresse, Schule, Hobby, Tennis, Student, Sport, Bier, Party, Universität, Fußball.
- Germans have contributed to the world in all sorts of areas over the years. How many of these famous names do you know? Schumacher, Siemens, Beethoven, Daimler-Benz, Braun, Einstein, Luther, Lidl and Aldi?
- Germany is one of the UK’s biggest trading partner. Another country in the top ten is Luxembourg and German is one of three languages spoken there.
- German is the second most common language used in scientific publications. 40% of Americans and 70% of Poles are recommended to learn German for science.
How will German help you?
- German is in demand. There is an increasing need for German-speakers in British businesses. British firms are now giving extensive training in German because German is taught in so few schools. This means that if you already have German skills when you join them, you will not need to be trained.
- German is the language of Goethe, Kafka, Mozart, Bach and Beethoven. By speaking German, you can reading and/or listen to their works in their original language.
- German will increase your job opportunities with Germany and foreign companies in your own country and abroad.
- Speaking German will also enable you to communicate in countries other than the ones that are German-speaking, especially in Eastern Europe.
Why choose me as your tutor?
- I have been a languages teacher in the UK for over 15 years, most of this time as Head of Languages, teaching adults and young people. I am a highly qualified and experienced educator and an accredited Business English trainer with a proven track record of student achievement. Furthermore, I am a qualified editor and proofreader. With me, you are in safe hands!
I started learning German at the age of 11 and immediately fell in love with it. While German doesn’t have the romantic allure of Spanish, it is a language of rules, a language of logic. There’s a beauty in all that neatness and its back-of-the-throat ‘ch’. Germany can lay claim to most of the classical greats such as Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and scientists such as Einstein. You’ll never run out of books to read in German – Goethe, Brothers Grimm etc. My time studying German at Heidelberg University was one of the best times of my life and I have many fond memories of living, breathing and eating the language.
I want you to be successful!
Drawing on my vast teaching experience, I tailor my classes to your needs and make the learning engaging and relevant. Equally important is the fact that I am friendly, warm and patient and want you to succeed!
How I teach a language
My teaching focuses on the core skills of learning any language, namely, speaking, listening, reading and writing. There is also an emphasis on grammar, which is used in each of these core skills. Rest assured that I don’t waste time on anything you don’t need to know.
I also provide high quality lesson materials to accompany my lessons as well as a recording and a summary of the lesson content at the end of the lesson for revision purposes. I have experience of teaching all nationalities, at all levels of proficiency and of all ages.
- Over 15 years’ experience teaching in independent and state schools across the UK, with 13 years as Head of Languages
- 3 years of online tuition
- GCSE examiner for the AQA examination board
- Familiar with all UK exam boards
- Experience in teaching languages for business
- MA Translation (Spanish and German), Swansea University, UK.
- BA European Languages (German, Spanish and Italian), Aberystwyth University, UK.
- PGCE in European Languages, Exeter University, UK.
- CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching for Adults), Cambridge University, UK
- Certificate in Teaching Business English, St George International, London, UK
- Qualified Editor and Proofreader, College of Media and Publishing, UK
What courses do you offer?
I offer tailored German lessons for companies and individuals through Skype. I am happy to offer you a free one-to-one consultation over Skype to discuss how to reach your goal fast. With my guidance, we will focus on your own individual requirements. This can be for an exam, a holiday or for business.
If you require training for six or more people, it can save time and money by running a course in-house or as a conference call.