Why learn Spanish?
- Knowing Spanish will enable you to communicate with 1/3 billion speakers around the world! It is spoken by approximately 392 million people. Spanish is a dominant language in Spain, the United States, Equatorial Guinea, the Philippines, Venezuela, Guatemala, Honduras, Argentina, Chile, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru, Mexico, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Panama, Colombia, Bolivia, Paraguay, and Uruguay.
- Speaking Spanish will make you more desirable to employers. In fact, Spanish has now overtaken German as the most important business language. A number of British firms are now Spanish-owned – Telefonica has taken over O2, Santander has taken over Abbey and Iberia has merged with BA.
- If you would like to holiday in sunny, exotic, tropical places, you don’t have far to look when you consider the number of Spanish-speaking countries that fit this description – Cuba, Mexico, Tenerife, Dominican Republic and more.
- By speaking Spanish, you will not be forced to confine yourself to popular tourist resorts where everyone speaks English. If you want to explore the area and get to know the local people, you need to speak the language. Even simple things, such as reading menus or buying a bus ticket require some knowledge of the language. The vast majority of Spanish people really do appreciate attempts to speak their language and will welcome you in a way that would never happen if you spoke only English.
- Spanish and Latin American culture is increasingly making its mark in the media, films, sport and music e.g. Ricky Marin, Lionel Messi, Penélope Cruz, Javier Bardem, Enrique Iglesias and more.
How will Spanish help you?
- If you’re a considering moving to Spain or buying a second home, wouldn’t you like to be able to communicate with the local people in their own language? You may have to if you need to see a doctor, call a plumber, book an appointment with the hairdresser or buy food in the market!
- Spanish is growing and in demand. Being able to speak Spanish is an asset to any company and will open more doors.
- It enables you to go out and explore Spanish-speaking countries and to learn more about their fascinating culture as well as enjoying the delicious food and wine!
Why choose me as your tutor?
- I have been a languages teacher in the UK, Kazakhstan and China for over 18 years, most of this time as Head of Languages, teaching adults and young people. I am a highly qualified and experienced educator and an accredited Business English trainer with a proven track record of student achievement. Furthermore, I am a qualified editor and proofreader. With me, you are in safe hands!
Spanish is an incredibly likeable language. It’s romantic, passionate and the rolling ‘r’ gives it its melodic tone. You don’t have to be a poet to sound poetic. Spanish words have a real commitment to emotion – mi vida (my life), mi alma (my soul) and mi corazón (my heart) are all terms of endearment that to us, sound very over-the-top! Spanish is a global language that was born in Spain and introduced to the Americas by Christopher Columbus. I love Spain and the Spanish and spent a considerable amount of time studying the language in Salamanca which has the oldest university in Spain.
I want you to be successful!
Drawing on my vast teaching experience, I tailor my classes to your needs and make the learning engaging and relevant. Equally important is the fact that I am friendly, warm and patient and want you to succeed!
How I teach a language
My teaching focuses on the core skills of learning any language, namely, speaking, listening, reading and writing. There is also an emphasis on grammar, which is used in each of these core skills. Rest assured that I don’t waste time on anything you don’t need to know.
I also provide high quality lesson materials to accompany my lessons as well as a recording and a summary of the lesson content at the end of the lesson for revision purposes. I have experience of teaching all nationalities, at all levels of proficiency and of all ages.
- Over 18 years’ experience teaching in independent and state schools in the UK, Kazakhstan and China, including 13 years as Head of Languages
- 3 years of online tuition
- GCSE examiner for the AQA examination board
- Familiar with all UK exam boards
- Experience in teaching languages for business
- MA Translation (Spanish and German)
- BA European Languages (German, Spanish and Italian)
- PGCE in European Languages
- CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching for Adults)
- Cert IBET (Business English Trainer)
- Qualified Editor and Proofreader
What courses do you offer?
I offer tailored Spanish lessons for companies and individuals through Skype or Zoom. I am happy to offer you a free one-to-one consultation over Skype or Zoom to discuss how to reach your goal fast. With my guidance, we will focus on your own individual requirements. This can be for an exam, a holiday, business or in preparation for moving to Spain.
If you require training for six or more people, it can save time and money by running a course in-house or as a conference call.